Thursday, July 7, 2011

An Afternoon At Hatfield House.

The present Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury live in this home today which looks more the size of a castle.  The Marquess' family has lived here since 1607.  The family name was Cecil.  Queen Elizabeth in 1558 appointed William Cecil her principal secretary and later Lord High Treasurer renaming him Lord Burghley in 1571.  Lord Burghley's, William Cecil's, son Robert became the 1st Earl of  Salisbury and gained direct association with Hatfield House in 1567.  The house was built over years.
Here is the house from all sides.




We didn't have access to all of the outside areas of course.  We toured the inside but could not take photos so I purchased a guide book full of great photos of the interior.  Here are some views of the garden areas.  It was a mix of wild flowers and well groomed areas including a maze on the west side of the building.  







In one of the gardens they constructed a large topiary of two large elephants touching trunks and a baby elephant standing behind the mother.  It is made of horseshoes welded together.



Hilary's good friend Rita went with us today which made it extra special.  I met Rita my first visit.  She is a great person.  We did have some weather today as you see I have on my rain coat.  The rain cooperated though and contained itself when we were outside.
Hilary and I..


Hilary and Rita...


As I walked through this beautiful home it was killing me not to be able to have photos to share with you but it is important to preserve this great piece of history.  There were so many huge painting of historical people of that time.  The rooms are as they were furnished and everything.  In the main entertaining room there are current pictures of the present Salisburys living there which was neat.
Thursday is a rest day and Friday through Sunday we will be in London!  So I will add to my blog on Monday.  Soon I will be home again.  Traveling on Wednesday the 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment